Friday, January 9, 2009

Guess Who's Coming to Town?

When C & I moved to DC, we hoped to meet and interact with all sorts of cool people and Washington-Big-Shots.

Thursday was no exception, Former-Senator Jim Talent (of all people) was speaking on campus about WMD's and terrorist. Evidently he & Bob Graham (former Senator from FL) chaired "The Commission on the Prevention of Weapons of Mass Destruction, Proliferation & Terrorism." The Commission, a Congressionally appointed follow-up to the 9-11 Commission, just issued its report & G-town brought him to campus to speak about it.

I found it humorous that halfway across the country I still see the same big shots. It was good to see him again, although I did not get the opportunity to chat with him - had to leave for class. After all, Jimmy T was one of my professors at WU, helped get me my first job and subsequently offered me a position in his Senate office.
Here's the photo (I sat in the back):


In other news, I will be assisting a professor with research this semester. For 5 hours per week I will be looking up information on product recalls and the Consumer Protection Commission. Then I will likely be helping do some number crunching to determine how businesses price the costs of product recalls (the professor specializes in managerial accounting).