Saturday, August 1, 2009

Llao Rock or Bust

Antsy from spending the week inside, this week I was determined to head outside for a hike after work. Wednesday I decided that I would hike up Llao Rock, a large rock with no trail that provides the estimate slope for the old Mount Mazama (the volcano that collapsed into CRLA). However, severe thunderstorm (because they don't mix with tall, tree-less areas) postponed my hike a day...no matter. Rain or shine, I was going up all 8000+ feet (luckily I only had to start at like 7,000 feet above sea level).

Leaving the car behind, I proceeded up the mountain side. I traversed dirt-like loose pumice, steep inclines and gardens of wildflowers. The hillside was a lovely golden and green, spotted with flowery patches of bright yellow, purple and white - it was like an artist canvas (see for yourself).

After a tiring, but shorter than expected climb, I reached the top and was greeted by circling birds, a quiet and gentle breeze, steep cliffs and a private view of the Lake. With no trail up this peak, very few visitors make the trek - I had one of the largest peaks in the Park all to myself (and a new colorful array of wildflowers).

As you can tell, I was also greeted by a lovely haze in the lake. Wednesday's thunderstorms that postponed my hike, also set-off a lightning strike fire just about a mile away in one of the valleys. This new smoke, along with smoke from the previous smoldering fire dimished the air quality and the visibility. Not much I could do...so I just enjoyed the view.

After an hour on top, and some lovely photos, I decided to run down the hillside and make it back to the car in only 5 minutes (30 minutes up, 5 down).

Anyway, you can check out the photos here. Have a great weekend.