There are so many things that I love (I feel like every blog starts this way). But the top two are always Trains and Cars/Trucks. The next two are Mom, Dad, and Amelia (I'm only two still, I don't have the patience to count properly).
So Saturday, while Mom and Amelia had their Matilda Jane Party, Dad and I decided we needed to do something father-son special. Dad decided (and I agreed) that I should go on my first train ride. My friend Max mentioned that he had been on a long train ride, but got bored once on board (hehe). Of course that would never happen with me, since I love trains so much. In fact, Dad said that I was all business because I was so excited from the time we left the house until I returned and took my nap. He said it was precious. But, I'm pretty sure it was just awesome!
First stop was the Alexandria Train Station. We walked there from our house down the metro path. While at the station, a train headed southbound pulled into the station (an added bonus), as seen in the photo above. It was super cool - the train was so tall! The wheels were nearly as big as me and I'm a big guy! While we waited for our train, Dad taught me all about train tracks, railroad ties, spikes, and other railroad gear. But, I kept having to warn Dad to back up from the tracks, the train was coming (eventually).
Finally, the train came and the conductor even asked for us by name (we were the only passengers getting on). ALL ABOARD! hehe. So we boarded the train and were never bored. We sat in the dining car at a table. I got to eat a snack and look out our window. I saw our house, the airport, the river, the bridge where we see the trains crossing the river, boats, Dad's office, a long long tunnel, and lots of other fun things!
Finally, we arrived at Union Station downtown. When we pulled into the station, they announced that they were going to change the engine - so of course we watched. It was so cool to stand 3 feet from the track while they de-coupled the old engine, pulled it away, backed up the new engine, and re-coupled (photo above). We also got to see another engine shunt around passenger cars. And we saw a super fast train called an Acela at the station. Oh, and we saw a forklift, golf carts, and a lot of other cool action. Whew, it was overwhelming to see it all.
I was hungry, so we left Union Station and had a picnic in the park across the street near where Dad used to work (the Capitol). Dad showed me where he used to park his Mazda 929 at night. We had a great lunch and then decided to go find the bell tower near the Capitol. We did not make it to the tower because I was so distracted by a fountain.
After a splash fest and fun with a beach ball, Dad and I headed to the metro station to see if it would take us to the beach. Only, the nearest metro station was closed (how silly). So we got to take a bus to the next station - what a great bonus. On the bus, I got to sit next to a nine year old - she was tall. I told her that I took the train here; she did not care because she was headed to something called laser tag (it sounded like something out of Star Wars).
Eventually, we made it home and you can see the pictures from our awesome trip here. Everyday, I ask Dad something about our train trip, hopefully I can go again another day.
Peace Out,
Phin
