(in response to the previous blog regarding seating configuration, seat 11D did not have ridiculous amounts of legroom)
After a brief trip to Goodwill for cups & books and a 2+ hour / $250+ adventure at the Klamath Super Wal-Mart (I needed everything from a pillow and bedding to groceries), we finally headed to Crater Lake. However, after a truly scenic sunset drive past mountains, rolling hills, grazing cattle and Upper Klamath Lake, we arrived at Crater Lake well after sunset (like 10 pm).
While the stars shined like hundreds of little flashlights in the sky, it was cold (the temperature dropped from the upper 60’s to the low 40’s in no time) and we were exhausted. So after being up since 4 am eastern time (1 am western), we decided to postpone our first Lake viewing until the morning and retire to our respective apartments – although I still didn’t make it to bed until after midnight (evidentially reenacting a school all-nighter).
For those who are wondering about the accommodations, I’m staying in VIP housing (I even drive around the park in an oversized SUV, pimping). It’s a sprawling three bedroom (although I think I’ll only have one housemate), two bathroom duplex with vaulted ceilings, an extremely spacious kitchen and a lovely porch overlooking the mountains and the maintenance building. All and all, it’s ridiculously nice and a million times better then spending the whole summer in a tent. As an added plus, our water comes from a nearby underground spring fed by mountain snowmelt – it’s commonly referred to as the best water in the entire National Park system.