For the past bunch of President's Day holiday weekends, we have loaded up the car and driven from Virginia to the Poconos to meet a bunch of friends. Since that drive is no longer possible in a weekend, Dad had the great idea that we should still make the weekend a fun mini-vacation with some friends.
Rather than fight snowy roads and sub-zero temperatures, we decided a beach trip sounds like more fun (even though the Oregon beaches are cold and rainy during the winter). With our friend's the Nortons, we loaded up and hit the coast.
We knew we were in for a great weekend, when we arrived to a beautiful sunset.
That's me in the picture above, standing on a dead tree that has landed in the Bay right outside of the beach house. That was high tide.
The photo below is almost at low tide, we're 60+ feet out into the bay playing on the sand. I was really amazing to see how much the water receded during the tide shift. The Dads made sure we had a good scientific understanding of why tides happen. Meanwhile, I was just glad we brought buckets and diggers with us.
If you notice our apparrel in the pic above, you'll see that we're wearing our raincoats, long sleeves and pants (well not Cameron, he wanted to wear his swimming suit). It funny to think of it being cold at the beach - but it was. And it was very rainy all weekend.
On Sunday (the really rainy day), we drove down to Newport, Oregon to visit an aquarium. It was pretty cool, we saw lots of sea creatures, watched sea otters eat crabs, walked through a shark tunnel (see below) and played on the ocean-themed climbing stuff.
It was a great trip; but there was one thing Dad really wanted to do before we left. So, after we packed everything up (except a change of clothes), Dad and I put on life jackets and took out the dingy (that's what he called it, I called it a boat).
Luckily, I did not need to test my swimming skills out. Maybe my next aquatic class with be boating, because I did not know what to do with the oar.
You can check out all of my President's Day weekend photos here.
Peace out,
Phin
Rather than fight snowy roads and sub-zero temperatures, we decided a beach trip sounds like more fun (even though the Oregon beaches are cold and rainy during the winter). With our friend's the Nortons, we loaded up and hit the coast.
We knew we were in for a great weekend, when we arrived to a beautiful sunset.
That's me in the picture above, standing on a dead tree that has landed in the Bay right outside of the beach house. That was high tide.
The photo below is almost at low tide, we're 60+ feet out into the bay playing on the sand. I was really amazing to see how much the water receded during the tide shift. The Dads made sure we had a good scientific understanding of why tides happen. Meanwhile, I was just glad we brought buckets and diggers with us.
If you notice our apparrel in the pic above, you'll see that we're wearing our raincoats, long sleeves and pants (well not Cameron, he wanted to wear his swimming suit). It funny to think of it being cold at the beach - but it was. And it was very rainy all weekend.
On Sunday (the really rainy day), we drove down to Newport, Oregon to visit an aquarium. It was pretty cool, we saw lots of sea creatures, watched sea otters eat crabs, walked through a shark tunnel (see below) and played on the ocean-themed climbing stuff.
It was a great trip; but there was one thing Dad really wanted to do before we left. So, after we packed everything up (except a change of clothes), Dad and I put on life jackets and took out the dingy (that's what he called it, I called it a boat).
Luckily, I did not need to test my swimming skills out. Maybe my next aquatic class with be boating, because I did not know what to do with the oar.
You can check out all of my President's Day weekend photos here.
Peace out,
Phin

