A few weeks back (memorial day weekend), Mom and Dad announced we were going on a mini, one night vacation. Fun. Mom and Dad said we get to go hiking and be in the woods. Fun. They said we could all sleep together in a giant piece of fabric called a tent. Fun, I guess.
What they forgot to say is that we would do all of this outdoor activity on the hottest and most humid two days of the year. Sheesh. It was 90+ degrees (even at night) and it was so humid that my diapers filled with water just walking around. Despite the heat and lackluster scenery, it was fun. And I got to sleep in a boat-tent. Or at least that is what I called it, since it looks like a boat to me.
So, on Saturday morning, we hopped in the car and drove down to Prince William Forest National Park for hiking and camping.
After a stop at the visitors center for a map, we did the lamest waterfall hike ever. In the left picture above, Dad and I are standing in the middle of the wah-wah fall (as I call it). Notice the white water (there is none) and 6 inch decent, oooh (Dad taught me sarcasm). I think I normally face fiercer rapids and more deadly currents when I take a bath. The nice thing about slow moving water, Dad let me touch it. But he still wouldn't let me splash and play with it. Come on Dad it was 95 degrees and very humid, and I'm sandwiched in an insulated backpack.
After the hike, we went to the campsite. While Mom and Dad unloaded the car, I set up the tent. I kept trying to get them to help me, but you know them. They were just running around with an orange hammer, banging on things while exploring the woods. Sometimes, even as a big guy, you have to take the initiative - I didn't want to have to set up the boat-tent in the dark. I even had to take the hammer away from them so they would focus on setting up camp. Sheesh. We all want to play, but business first. Sometimes I think I'm the adult around here.
Once the boat-tent (it looks like a boat to me) was set up (thanks Uncle David for lending us your tent, Mom and Dad only have little two person tents - way to go mom and dad), I took a few minutes to play inside and setup the gear.
Then, I got to work making a fire. I'm too young to play with matches or a lighter, so I had to do it the old fashion way - rub two sticks together (left above). Thankfully, I can count to 3, so I knew when I had two sticks. After that, I put Dad in charge of the fire, while I gathered more wood (above right). Who knew Dad was so good at burning stuff - I guess I should have known this by his dinners.
While dinner cooked, we went for a walk around the campground. Here Dad and I are, practicing our jumping. I just learned how to jump in early May, so I need all of the practice I can get. Jumping is so much fun. I just discovered too that you can jump to music and look cool. Oh music, you're so much fun.
However, had I been thinking, I would have ventured off with just Mom and left Dad to cook dinner and tend the fire. We didn't eat until 8:00, which threw off my entire schedule. I didn't fall asleep until after 10pm. Sheesh. For those paying attention, you know I just graduated to my Big Guy Bed last week. But, this camping trip was the first time I went night-night somewhere besides a pack-n-play or a crib. Mom brought me my little green tent, so I could sleep inside of it, inside the Boat-Tent. Mom and Dad slept on their own ground pads in the boat-tent, right next to me.
I slept great for my first time in the wild. I even woke up with the sun at 5:45am. Dad tried to sleep in, so I jumped on him. That will teach him to wake up with the sun (and his son, hehe).
In the morning, we hung around camp. I had some milk. I cleaned up the mess of sticks Mom and Dad left in the woods. I even made breakfast (that's me cooking on the right and rolling my eyes at them), because Mom and Dad just wanted to play with their plastic orange hammer again and run around the trees. Sheesh, what are they 20 months? Come on, lend a hand once in a while. What would they do without me.
After breakfast, I cleaned up the dishes and fed the baby some milk (above). If it wasn't for me, that baby girl would have nothing to eat. Then I packed up the gear and loaded it in the car. Mom and Dad just sat around 'digesting.' Whatever that means. The least they could have done is take a couple of pictures of me loading the car, it was pretty funny.
Finally, I took down and rolled up the tent. Come on Mom, you're standing right here. Because it was already 92 degrees (at 9 am!), we decided not to go for another hike. After the abbreviated slumber and given Mom's present condition (pregnant), I decided not to tax the elders any more. So, we got in the car and I drove home.
I loved camping and I loved sleeping in the boat tent (so fun). I can't wait to go again. Hopefully, Cloud will be able to assist with everything, because Mom and Dad won't lift a finger. Sheesh. Check out the rest of my camping photos.
What they forgot to say is that we would do all of this outdoor activity on the hottest and most humid two days of the year. Sheesh. It was 90+ degrees (even at night) and it was so humid that my diapers filled with water just walking around. Despite the heat and lackluster scenery, it was fun. And I got to sleep in a boat-tent. Or at least that is what I called it, since it looks like a boat to me.
So, on Saturday morning, we hopped in the car and drove down to Prince William Forest National Park for hiking and camping.
After a stop at the visitors center for a map, we did the lamest waterfall hike ever. In the left picture above, Dad and I are standing in the middle of the wah-wah fall (as I call it). Notice the white water (there is none) and 6 inch decent, oooh (Dad taught me sarcasm). I think I normally face fiercer rapids and more deadly currents when I take a bath. The nice thing about slow moving water, Dad let me touch it. But he still wouldn't let me splash and play with it. Come on Dad it was 95 degrees and very humid, and I'm sandwiched in an insulated backpack.
Once the boat-tent (it looks like a boat to me) was set up (thanks Uncle David for lending us your tent, Mom and Dad only have little two person tents - way to go mom and dad), I took a few minutes to play inside and setup the gear.
Then, I got to work making a fire. I'm too young to play with matches or a lighter, so I had to do it the old fashion way - rub two sticks together (left above). Thankfully, I can count to 3, so I knew when I had two sticks. After that, I put Dad in charge of the fire, while I gathered more wood (above right). Who knew Dad was so good at burning stuff - I guess I should have known this by his dinners.
While dinner cooked, we went for a walk around the campground. Here Dad and I are, practicing our jumping. I just learned how to jump in early May, so I need all of the practice I can get. Jumping is so much fun. I just discovered too that you can jump to music and look cool. Oh music, you're so much fun.
However, had I been thinking, I would have ventured off with just Mom and left Dad to cook dinner and tend the fire. We didn't eat until 8:00, which threw off my entire schedule. I didn't fall asleep until after 10pm. Sheesh. For those paying attention, you know I just graduated to my Big Guy Bed last week. But, this camping trip was the first time I went night-night somewhere besides a pack-n-play or a crib. Mom brought me my little green tent, so I could sleep inside of it, inside the Boat-Tent. Mom and Dad slept on their own ground pads in the boat-tent, right next to me.
I slept great for my first time in the wild. I even woke up with the sun at 5:45am. Dad tried to sleep in, so I jumped on him. That will teach him to wake up with the sun (and his son, hehe).
In the morning, we hung around camp. I had some milk. I cleaned up the mess of sticks Mom and Dad left in the woods. I even made breakfast (that's me cooking on the right and rolling my eyes at them), because Mom and Dad just wanted to play with their plastic orange hammer again and run around the trees. Sheesh, what are they 20 months? Come on, lend a hand once in a while. What would they do without me.
Finally, I took down and rolled up the tent. Come on Mom, you're standing right here. Because it was already 92 degrees (at 9 am!), we decided not to go for another hike. After the abbreviated slumber and given Mom's present condition (pregnant), I decided not to tax the elders any more. So, we got in the car and I drove home.
I loved camping and I loved sleeping in the boat tent (so fun). I can't wait to go again. Hopefully, Cloud will be able to assist with everything, because Mom and Dad won't lift a finger. Sheesh. Check out the rest of my camping photos.
Peace Out,
Phin
